Happy Birthday Spencer!
His birthday was a much anticipated event this month. Although disappointed that he wasn't going to get a "friend" party this year, he was nonetheless sure that this birthday would yield a plethera of presents. Plus, he got to spend some time with the cousins on Saturday, the 14th, and we had a little birthday celebration for him there too. Two days of birthday ain't too bad!
As we prepared for the big event on Sunday, we recieved very specific instructions from Spencer. "Now mom, you need to put up the decorations, and make the cake, and wrap my presents. I'll stay upstairs until you're ready, and then you can turn out the lights. You all hide, and when I come in, you jump out and yell 'surprise!'" I believe that the concept of a surprise party is completely lost on him. Every party deserves the "hide and jump out" ritual. We haven't decided how long we'll oblige him on this one. Age 8? 9? We may put on his future resume that he has been planning, organizing, delegating and overseeing special events since the age of 5 though.
I had a realization through it all though. Why is it that we only get gifts for the child whose birthday it is? What about the mother that suffered on this very day to bring said child into the world....isn't that worth a gift too!?! We've got it all wrong. Birthdays are to say thank you to the moms. I'm voting for change! Spencer has declared that this was the best birthday ever! He says that every year, but it sure is cute that he has so much passion for everything that he does. We sure enjoy him.
New baseball glove and bat to get ready for Little League!
Thank you G & G Kidman!



1 comment:
I'm all for moms getting presents on their children's B-days! I can't believe Spencer is 7. This was probably the easiest Surprise party you'll ever throw!
Post a Comment