The Kids

The Kids

Sunday, December 21, 2008

Farewell to a generation

In my family, Grandpa Kidman outlived the rest. He was a spunky man who lived for the outdoors, and had a great hunting story for every day of the year. Grandpa passed away this morning at the great age of 93.



I find myself pondering the greatness of his generation and am feeling quite sentimental at the thought of his leaving us, not because it brings me any sadness for him...on the contrary, I'm sure he is having a wonderful reunion with Grandma and many others in our family who are surely there to greet him. I feel such awe for some of the many things that he and others like him did in their lifetimes, the many changes and difficulties that they endured in our country.

Grandpa was called up to serve in World War II not as a soldier (because of his flat feet, he was not drafted) but as a civilian flight instructor training pilots in airplane aerobatics preparing them for entry into the Airforce. He was a great pilot, and even in the twightlight of his years (sometime in his 80s) he could still take control of my dad's Sessna and give everyone on board a good lesson in why you wear seatbelts and hold on tight!

Grandpa had a great sense of humor, something he will always be remembered for...his jokes and stories (sometimes a little off color) but you never did mind if it was his story. Grandpa had an independent food place which my dad worked at while growing up. He was the reason that the Kidmans ended up in the food business. He was really good at it, and many times lent his "professional opinion" in something that might benefit RDs Drive In in Page.

Grandpa mostly will be remembered for his great passion for the outdoors and hunting and fishing. I've never known someone that had so much love and passion and focus for something. It used to drive Grandma nuts! She had the saying posted in their house, "When I die, bury me in the woods so that my husband will hunt for me." There were some great memories that my dad and his brothers had with him out in the woods. He was able to go hunting with my dad all the way up to a couple of years ago, and it finally got too difficult for him. Most people don't stay as active as he did, but he was still getting around quite well even into his 90s. Amazing.

I'm happy for Grandpa to have his rest and be with Grandma, but I'm sad because it's a reminder of what is gone and that my memories are really all I have. Here's a few photos.




The Great Hunters (Grandpa and Dad)

Me and Grandpa at Grandma's graveside dedication.

Grandma passed away four years ago on Christmas Eve.
They both must really want us to remember them during the holidays!
We will have services on the 27th.


2 comments:

Peppermint Lane said...

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. It sounds like your grandfather had a long wonderful life. What wonderful memories you have of him.

Tara and David said...

Hey Dawnell,
I love your blog. Hope you don't mind that I found you. Yes, grandpa will be missed, but oh what a time he is having now! Will you be there on sat?